Monday, March 31, 2014

Numbers and the Bible

I am a math nerd. I love patterns, numbers, and puzzles. I believe that math is a language and that it can speak to you. It at least speaks to me and my world makes sense when there are numbers involved. My testimony deepens when I find patterns and numbers in the scriptures. This isn't a dealve into numerology, but instead using the numbers given in a story or scripture passage to deepen my understanding of the lessons and doctrines being told in the stories and passages.

But I feel that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ must be mathematicians and that they enjoy numbers and patterns as well. So I am going to do posts on the different numbers and their meanings, so when a number is mentioned in a Bible passage, you can learn more lessons about what is being taught.

Why do the same numbers keep popping up in the scriptures - 40 days of Noah's flood, 40 years in the wilderness for the people of Moses, and Jesus fasted for 40 days- Why use the number 40? There is a pattern here and I hope to discuss this and many other patterns in a series of posts about numbers in the scriptures.

"Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas." ~Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment